CBA Award of Merit and Young Lawyer of the Year Reception

When:  Nov 12, 2021

Join us for CBA Award of Merit and Young Lawyer of the Year Reception on
November 12 from 5 to 7 p.m.

AWARD OF MERIT

Judge Alfred C. Harrell

Throughout his career in the law, the best piece of advice Judge Alfred Harrell has received is that you can’t live your life alone. “You will need help,” he says. “Don’t be afraid to ask for it, and, when you are asked, don’t be afraid to give it.” Harrell has made this a way of life. This year, the CBA recognizes him with its highest honor—the Award of Merit—in recognition of his outstanding service to the legal profession, lifelong dedication to correcting injustices, and unflagging commitment to helping others.

Read his full bio here.

AWARD OF MERIT

Judge Wiley Daniel

CBA Honors the Late Legend with its Award of Merit

The current legal landscape of Denver owes a great debt to Judge Wiley Daniel. He began his career as a civil litigation lawyer, first in Detroit and later in Denver, and in 1995 became the first African American judge appointed to the US District Court for the District of Colorado—an accomplishment his daughter Jennifer Daniel Collins says was one of his proudest. When he passed away in May 2019, Daniel left behind an exceptional legal career, filled with trailblazing firsts (including his term as the first and only Black CBA president) and numerous accolades.

Read his full bio here.

OUTSTANDING YOUNG LAWYER OF THE YEAR

Laura Wolf

While each of us has been riding out the pandemic in our own way, Laura Wolf has been making big moves. She opened the doors of her own law practice, Spark Justice Law LLC (formerly known as Wolf Guevara LLC), in May 2020, although for Wolf those doors have been largely metaphorical: “Starting a business during the pandemic was a terrifying prospect for me, but it ended up working out really well. If anything, I saved money on office space, networking events, and personal outings, leaving more for me to invest in the firm.” She says clients have been more than happy to meet over Zoom, and she has been able to use online services for day-to-day operations like phone, fax, and e-signature services. “Seeing so much community support for my work by way of personal referrals gave me the confidence to start the firm, even during the pandemic. I have been incredibly fortunate in that I haven’t run into any COVID-related barriers that have impacted my ability to launch the practice I envisioned.”

Read her full bio here.

AWARD OF MERIT

David Johnson

David M. Johnson has practiced law for more than 42 years. He has practiced family law exclusively for over 35 years. His background includes serving as a family court magistrate judge in El Paso County and representing children in juvenile cases and bitter divorce battles over children. His practice concentrated on complex cases involving children’s issues and high value marital estates. He has handled many cases involving business valuations, complex trust issues, and spouses with substantial wealth. He has drafted prenuptial agreements and post nuptial agreements involving multimillion dollar estates.

Read more here.

OUTSTANDING YOUNG LAWYER OF THE YEAR

Meggin Rutherford

Meggin was awarded the 2021 Young Lawyer of the Year award for her dedication to client and community service, in addition to her professional knowledge and skill. The Award recognizes a young attorney who is skilled in their area of law, as well as someone who makes a substantial positive change in the state. Meggin was recognized for her work expanding the ability of families to find solutions out of court, and for her work and activism with the Colorado Legislature to make out-of-court solutions more accessible to all Coloradans.

Read more here.

What are the awards?

CBA Award of Merit

Awarded to a current CBA member for outstanding service or contributions to the association, the legal profession, the administration of justice of the community.

CBA Gary McPherson Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year

Recognizes a CBA Young Lawyers Division member in good standing who has made outstanding contributions to the legal profession and community. Nominees should have an outstanding record of professional success, community service achievements, and a strong commitment to civic participation and inspiring others, whether within the legal profession or elsewhere.

CBA Office
1290 Broadway
Ste 1700
Denver, CO 80203