Legal Updates and Best Business Practices
for Solo and Small Law Firm Owners in 2024
The Practical Lawyer CLE Series: Session #13
Tuesday, December 12, 2023: Noon - 1:30p via Zoom
It's The Practical Lawyer's annual summary of new legislation in advance of 2024. The new year is not that far away! Join attorneys Rachael Ardanuy, Kristin Dittus, and Adrienne Fischer as they explain how to navigate the ever-changing legal waters as solo and small law firm business owners in Colorado for 2024, specifically as those laws affect SSF practice.
- When: Tuesday, December 12, 2023 at 12 noon - 1:30p
- Where: Live stream online via Zoom. Course will be recorded and available for home study.
- What: Annual Legislative Round Up for Solo & Small Law Firm Owners
- Cost: Free to members of Solo Small Firm Section and Colorado W.O.L.F. (Women Owned Law Firm Owners); Non-members: $25.00
- Register in Advance: https://www.cobar.org/Calendar/Event/sessionaltcd/SSF121223
- CLE Accreditation Approved: 2 General CLE Credits
● How to get paid for your great advisement! Kristin Dittus will discuss how to legally pass along credit card surcharge fees to your clients, structure your flat fee to cover unexpected time on a matter and design the engagement to mitigate
potential conflicts with clients.
● Planning ahead and working smarter, not harder: Adrienne Fischer will address the federal Corporate Transparency Act; Colorado POWR (Protecting Opportunities and Workers' Rights) Act and Equal Pay for Equal Work Act Part 2: and artificial intelligence policies.
● Rachael Ardanuy will cover Cannabis, Natural Medicine, and other workplace updates for employers and the current lay of the land between federal and state law relating to marijuana and other federally banned substances legalized by Colorado
About Our Speakers:
Attorney Rachael Ardanuy focuses her legal practice on assisting entrepreneurs and small businesses with business formation, transactions, commercial real estate, cannabis regulatory and business licensing matters, succession and estate planning. Her firm, RZA Legal, also guides municipalities on issues related to land use, commercial cannabis and natural medicine, and provides expert witness services related to cannabis law and policy. Ms. Ardanuy current serves as the Chair of the Colorado Bar Association’s Cannabis Law Section.
Kristin Dittus, J.D., LL.M., is the founding member of Life & Legacy Planning, Ltd., based in Denver, Colorado. She focuses her practice on estate planning, administration and asset protection strategies for those with complex assets as well as those with modest estates concerned about costs of long term care. She was licensed in Colorado in 2005 and earned her LL.M. in tax from the University of Denver in 2010. Kristin is an active participant in the Trusts and Estate Community, serving as Co-Editor of the Section’s quarterly newsletter, Council Notes, is President of the Women’s Estate Planning Council for 2023/2024, and has served as an American Bar Association reporter summarizing the lectures for the annual Heckerling Institute on tax and estate planning since 2013.
Adrienne Fischer is a dynamic Denver-based attorney with a background in communications from New York University and a law degree from Southwestern Law School in Los Angeles. Specializing in corporate law and trademark protection, Adrienne founded Basecamp Legal in 2016, where she has successfully represented countless small businesses, facilitated fund-raising efforts, and safeguarded her clients' brands. Adrienne is also AI curious and exploring new ways to leverage technology in business. A passionate advocate for startups and small businesses, Adrienne not only has been a recurring speaker at Denver Startup Week but also mentors emerging entrepreneurs through programs like Founded Outdoors and REI Co-op's Path Ahead Ventures' Embark Program. Holding licenses in California, Colorado, and Idaho, Adrienne is a versatile and dedicated legal partner committed to helping her clients reach their peak of success.